The winner of our 2nd Annual Recipe Challenge
Makes Two Pizzas, serves six people
Two pIzza doughs, bought or homemade
3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tbsp of butter
3 to 4 cloves of chopped garlic
1 sweet onion chopped finely
1 28 oz can of San Marzano Crushed Tomatoes
1 tsp brown sugar
1 lemon’s juice
red pepper flakes, a shake or two to add a little spice
salt and pepper to taste
Fresh mozzarella, sliced or grated to cover marinara sauce, about 6 to 8oz.
Salad Ingredients, also part of topping
mixed field greens, about five cups
grape tomatoes, cut in quarters
1 clove of garlic chopped
5 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1. Make marinara sauce first to allow to slow cook for at least an hour. In
saucepan measure olive oil and butter and melt butter at medium heat, place
chopped sweet onions and garlic in pan after butter has melted. Saute until
onions are translucent, about ten minutes at medium heat. Then add one can
of San Marazano Tomatoes. Mix other ingredients with tomatoes, the brown
sugar, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer
for at least one hour.
2. Next make homemade pizza dough or have your bought dough waiting in your
3. Make the Balsamic Vinaigrette by measuring ingredients as listed in a cruet
and shake ingredients. Put vinaigrette aside.
4. Mix greens and grape tomatoes.
5. When you are ready to assemble the pizza, take the dough out and let warm
to room temp for at least five minutes. Roll out dough to size of pizza pan or
stone. If using a stone, preheat oven at 475 degrees F.
6. If using a stone, then slide dough on pizza stone by placing dough on a lightly
floured pizza peel and lightly shake the dough onto the stone. Pre bake dough
for four to five minutes and take out of oven. Pre baked dough may have
bubbles, pat lightly.
7. Spread sauce evenly on dough and then place sliced or grated Fresh
Mozzarella on top, also evenly spread.
8. Bake in oven or on a grill. If in oven at 475 degrees F. If on grill at medium to
high heat. Bake for about ten minutes. Check bottom of crust for a light golden
9. Take out oven or off grill and let cool. While cooling mix the salad greens and
tomatoes with Balsamic Vinaigrette. Do not use all of the vinaigrette. The
greens should not be soggy or it will make your pizza soggy.
10.After five minutes of cooling the pizza, spread the salad on top and eat
If desired you may add some chopped red onion and fresh button mushrooms.
(The judges did not try it with this addition.)
Suggestion from Suzanne: Serve this with a nice glass of malbec and you are
good to go!
“Its messy but its oh so good!!!”
Thank you and hope you enjoy! (We did.)
Suzanne from PA